It’s fitting that our final moving day will commence today on a Monday since I began this moving Monday series over 8 months ago!! We are exhausted, jet-lagged and feeling our age but we are very excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel. We are doing a semi-local move so that has factored into the logistics of how things are being done. We’ve had our stuff in storage as I’ve mentioned and we are hauling it about 80 miles to our house. We have been lucky to have the use of a nice size truck and trailer which we have used to haul 2 loads so far and today we bring the final 2 loads!
I LOVE the process of nesting and I’m in full swing mode now. Here are a few tips that I’ve found useful so far. Keep in mind that this move has been DIY all the way (with the help of friends and family) so some of these logistics will not be necessary for you if you have hired a moving company but it’s good to keep in mind either way.
- started to unpack some boxes to get them out of the way before big furniture is brought in
- focus on soft goods that go into closets such as hanging clothes (eliminating the big wardrobe boxes), linens as well as dishes and kitchen items which can go directly into the cabinets.
- measure rooms to determine the fit of furniture before bringing big items in
- have staple items like soap, disposable plates/cups, paper towels and a first aid kit on hand
- locate sheets, towels and bathroom toiletries to quickly set up the bathroom and bedrooms for more comfort
- know where your furniture is going (roughly) before moving it in and leave boxes and other items stacked out of the way for clear passage
- keep walkways and paths clear of debris, boxes etc.
- “Stage” boxes in the front entry if it’s not reasonable to place them directly into the corresponding rooms. Have a secondary team inside to relocate items to the correct rooms.
- enjoy the process!!
My inventory sheet has been super helpful and so far we haven’t located one “mystery” box!
Next week-Unpacking and settling in.