I had planned to start off the new year with at least 1 or 2 posts by now but I’ve been totally off line for a couple days and recovering from all sort of nonsense. I had a great holiday despite having “the bug” and a cold over Christmas and now a bit of a re-bound cold I do believe. Jeeze, hopefully I’ve got it all out of my system for some time to come! All this rest and recovery got me thinking quite a bit about wellness. Despite the fact that I’m posting about this on the tail of 2-3 illnesses over 2 weeks I had not been sick at all for the entirety of 2010! Wellness means more than keeping myself from getting sick, it means feeling good about myself, finding balance, nourishing my spirit and soul and being a good steward of the earth.
Here are 11 ways I’d like to share with you for 2011 to BE WELL.
1. Keep a Journal (I practice writing for about 30 minutes each morning).
2. Get 8 hours of sound sleep (give or take what feels right to you).
3. Exercise regularly (3-5 times a week for at least 30 minutes), some of my favorite forms of exercise are Yoga, walking and Dancing (Nia)
4. Eat lots of organic and local produce. Same goes for meat and dairy if you are not vegetarian (which I am not but was for quite a few years).
5. Take time to do something that gives you Joy each day.
6. Drink as much water as possible every day and take good quality supplements (especially if you are not a big veggie and fruit fan).
7. Use natural and non-toxic cleaning products in your home.
8. Keep houseplants and get out and garden if you can.
9. Use natural and organic health and beauty products (that are not tested on animals and that do not contain parabens and other carcinogens).
10. Volunteer and help others out when/however you can. Online is great but in person is even better!
11. Eliminate Debt!
These may all seem like really basic practices and I commend you if you already do all of these (they are all a part of my regular routine at this stage in life). If you feel like some or many of these goals are not attainable please stick with it, you can change habits but it takes time. Find the ones that seem the most EASY or the most REWARDING or the most FUN and start with them!
I will be share more ideas about each of these over the next 11 Wednesday’s and I’d love to open this up for discussion.
How do you define Wellness?
PS...Bonus Be KIND, and I mean to everyone (yeah, I’m still working on this one so that’s why it didn’t make it to this years list…maybe it will by next year!).