This is a follow up to last week’s take out. I left you with a short tutorial on how to make the snow globe holiday cards. Below I’m sharing with you the final outcome of the cards and a couple of ideas for either turning them into ornaments or making them as ornaments.
I love to make cards every couple years but I hate the idea of these cards going into the garbage (even if most people do recycle). A few years ago I created a line of cards (made with recycled paper) that I sold in stores. The idea behind them was that they were small pieces of “collage art” that were made with recycled paper, found objects and bits and pieces of ephemera etc. They were meant to be saved, framed and appreciated. With that in mind I wanted these cards to do double duty as ornaments.
I’ve included instructions on the inside of these card so the recipients can choose to make ornaments out of them. It’s really simple once the card or snow globe portion is made (see instructions here).
1. Cut out the ornament (Snow globe) shape as above.
2. Trace the shape onto another decorative paper. Here I used recycled Christmas cards that I had received last year. You could use photo’s, decorate the back side like the front or use plain paper. You just want to give the ornament a little more weight.
3. Add a separate piece of solid paper for the base and glue the front and back together.
4. Punch a hole in the top, add a string or ribbon to hang from and put it on the tree!
Voila~An ornament! If you make these please comment and leave me a link to your creations. I’d love to see them!
- Take Out Tuesday: Snow Globe Holiday Cards (hkpowerstudio.wordpress.com)
- How To Reuse Christmas Cards: The Wreath (Video) (thegreengirls.com)
- Recycle Those Christmas Cards! (merrymicrofiberblog.com)
- Alice Melvin’s Cut out and make cards (http://bugsandfishes.blogspot.com)